About the course
This is a one-day course suitable for suitably qualified professionals (psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists and nurses) who already have Approved Clinician status under s12ZA of the Mental Health Act and require a refresher. This course automatically covers Section 12(2) approval, so there is no need for doctors to attend a separate course for Section 12 renewal.
This course is for doctors and other suitable qualified professionals who are Approved Clinicians according s12ZA of the Mental Health Act 1983 (MHA) and are seeking reapproval.
This is an on-line blended learning course which combines eLearning modules with live interactive sessions. The eLearning modules are sent in advance and must be completed by the afternoon of the day of the course. The live interactive sessions are delivered in the afternoon. The sessions are led by clinical and legal experts in mental health law. The course uses interactive quizzes, case discussions, talks, small-group break-out sessions and legal updates to ensure delegates are fully equipped to continue working as Approved Clinicians.
Please note that this course is just part of the Approved Clinician renewal process. The process varies according to your location – please use the following links for more information:
- London – please email email@example.com
- South of England – please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- North of England – please email email@example.com
- Midlands and East of England – please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The course covers:
- Roles & Responsibilities of Approved Clinicians, including practical aspects of becoming AC approved
- Detention and Liberty
- Returning to the community and Community Treatment Orders
- Appeals/hearing procedures
- Service user and carer experience, and advocates
- Legal Updates
- Interface with the Criminal Justice System
- Mental Health law in specialist areas
- Medico-legal case discussion and clinical vignettes
If you are seeking Section 12 status for the first time, or to refresh your Section 12 status, please book onto one of our Section 12 courses here.
If you are seeking Approved Clinician status for the first time, please book onto the Approved Clinician introduction course here.
Course applicants from South London & Maudsley NHS Trust should contact email@example.com to book their place.
What you will learn from taking this course:
- understanding of the requirements for maintaining Approved Clinician status.
- improved understanding of the role of Approved Clinician and how it differs from that of a Section 12 Doctor.
- improved understanding of commonly used compulsory orders and a basic understanding of the use of compulsory orders in specialised areas.
- understanding of the tribunal process including the provision of written & verbal evidence.
- an improved understanding of the interface between the Mental Health Act, Mental Capacity Act 2005 and other relevant legislation, with up to date understanding of current relevant case law.
- an enhanced awareness of the impact of compulsory orders on service users and carers, including greater appreciation of the balance between risk and liberty.
Assistant psychologist, Clinical psychologist, Clinical support worker, Consultant – psychiatry, CT1-3 – psychiatry, RMN, ST4-7 – psychiatry
Length & Time
Book this course
The fusion of Education and the Health Service is extremely exciting and now indeed essential; I am thrilled that St Mary’s is at the forefront of this. I am truly invigorated to disseminate many nuggets of wisdom and tangible strategies gained yesterday to my entire school community.
The knowledge and skills help children in many areas e.g. friendships, learning, attitude, dealing with problems at home and school. Skills will stay with them as they progress helping them to be reflective and emotionally resilient.