About the course
CPD: equivalent to 6 hours CPD
The number of older people with alcohol misuse has increased significantly over the past decade. This course aims to improve knowledge, skills, and confidence in the assessment and care of people with this alcohol use disorders, including those that accompany other mental disorders such as depression and dementia.
Learners will improve their skills in assessment, intervention and providing an integrated approach to care by focussing on the needs of older people. They will learn to make quality assessments and identify appropriate interventions and referral pathways in order to reduce risk associated with alcohol use disorders to improve health and social outcomes. This will include people with alcohol related cognitive impairment.
Learners will practice formulating a tailored approach to cognitive rehabilitation to improve independence and provide integrated care for their patients with alcohol use disorders. Common challenges to assessment and intervention will be also be discussed.
Course presented by
Click on the speaker's profile to find out more
What you will learn from taking this course:
- Learn about trends in alcohol-related harm at population and clinical levels
- Carry out a comprehensive assessment of alcohol related harm in older people
- Screen for alcohol use to identify types of risky drinking and offer interventions
- Screen for Alcohol Related Cognitive Impairment (ARCI)
- Reflect on barriers to the assessment, treatment, and care of people with ARCI
- Make high quality and appropriate referrals within integrated care pathways to improve health and social outcomes for alcohol use disorders
- Implement principles of cognitive rehabilitation into everyday practice
Consultant – non-psychiatry any, Consultant – psychiatry, CT1-3 – non-psychiatry any, CT1-3 – psychiatry, Doctors, FY1, FY2, GP, GPVTS, Medical student, Nursing student, Occupational therapist, Pharmacist, Psychotherapist, RMN, ST4-7 – non-psychiatry any, ST4-7 – psychiatry
Lunch & Refreshments Provided
Length & Time
82-96 Grove Ln,
Book this course
The fusion of Education and the Health Service is extremely exciting and now indeed essential; I am thrilled that St Mary’s is at the forefront of this. I am truly invigorated to disseminate many nuggets of wisdom and tangible strategies gained yesterday to my entire school community.
The knowledge and skills help children in many areas e.g. friendships, learning, attitude, dealing with problems at home and school. Skills will stay with them as they progress helping them to be reflective and emotionally resilient.