About the course
This one-day online simulation course is designed for GP trainees on the Lewisham vocational training scheme (VTS). It will involve live, interactive scenarios with our specially trained actors, with each scenario followed by a facilitator-led group debrief. The scenarios chosen reflect a variety of mental health presentations which are relevant to doctors working in general practice.
GP trainee on Lewisham VTS scheme
What you will learn from taking this course:
- To gain a greater understanding and knowledge of mental health presentations in a general practice setting
- To consider how mental and physical health problems overlap and how to deal with the two together
- To further develop a holistic view of the patient and carer
- To increase confidence and skills in carrying out risk assessments and mental state examinations
- To learn how to verbally de-escalate challenging situations more effective
- To learn more about psychiatric medication
- To better understand the Mental Capacity and Mental Health Acts, and their relevance in a community setting
Length & Time
Book this course
The fusion of Education and the Health Service is extremely exciting and now indeed essential; I am thrilled that St Mary’s is at the forefront of this. I am truly invigorated to disseminate many nuggets of wisdom and tangible strategies gained yesterday to my entire school community.
The knowledge and skills help children in many areas e.g. friendships, learning, attitude, dealing with problems at home and school. Skills will stay with them as they progress helping them to be reflective and emotionally resilient.