About the course
PLEASE NOTE: This course is free to those working in South East London only. EPIC MH is a multi-professional online one-day simulation course aimed at primary care professionals working with young people.
Specifically, it will focus upon early identification of mental illness and preventative steps to ensure good mental wellbeing. It will explore the role of the young person’s family and support network in mental health and wellbeing as well as looking at the challenges and benefits of working collaboratively with support networks. Participants will be involved in a series of simulated scenarios using professional actors, followed by an in-depth debrief. The debrief allows participants to build on skills and knowledge (both technical and non-technical) and learn constructively from their experience.
EPIC MH is suitable for a range of non-mental health trained clinical staff working in a primary care setting. This may include GPs, nurses, health care assistants/support workers, allied health professionals and social workers.
- To improve knowledge of factors impacting on mental health and wellbeing
- To be able to identify and respond to signs of poor mental health
- To improve a range of interpersonal skills including communication, teamwork & problem solving
- To develop ways of working more effectively with service users’ families and support networks
After taking this course, participants will:
- Be able to identify those whom may be at risk of mental illness
- Feel confident identifying and responding to signs of mental illness in young people.
- Feel confident conducting a risk assessment and instigating appropriate interventions
- Have improved understanding of connections between physical and mental health
- Have improved confidence, knowledge and skills working with patient’s fa
- Be able to use a variety of interpersonal skills to manage emotional distress
Allied health professional, Assistant psychologist, Care coordinator, Care navigator, Clinical psychologist, GP, GPVTS, Healthcare assistant, Manager or team leader, Midwife, Nurse associate, Occupational therapist, RGN, Team Manager
Book this course
The fusion of Education and the Health Service is extremely exciting and now indeed essential; I am thrilled that St Mary’s is at the forefront of this. I am truly invigorated to disseminate many nuggets of wisdom and tangible strategies gained yesterday to my entire school community.
The knowledge and skills help children in many areas e.g. friendships, learning, attitude, dealing with problems at home and school. Skills will stay with them as they progress helping them to be reflective and emotionally resilient.