About the course
This a two-day course suitable for anyone who is applying to become an Approved Clinician under s12ZA(5) Mental Health Act 1983, including psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, occupational therapists and nurses who have undergone the appropriate training. It aims to enhance the knowledge-base and clinical skills of clinicians applying to become Approved Clinicians according s12ZA of the Mental Health Act 1983. Delegates are provided with the opportunity to discuss their competencies and areas of weakness, as well as an opportunity to reflect on medico-legal challenges.
Engaging and interactive presentations are delivered by clinical and legal experts in mental health law, as well as AMHPs, service users, carers and specialists in Child and Adolescent Mental Health. The course uses practical exercises, case discussions and legal updates to ensure delegates are fully equipped to take on the roles of Approved Clinicians.
The course covers:
- Roles & Responsibilities of Approved Clinicians, including practical aspects
- Returning to the community and Community Treatment Orders
- Detention and Liberty
- Appeals/hearing procedures
- Service user and carer experience, and advocates
- Legal Updates
- Interface with the Criminal Justice System
- Mental Health law in specialist areas
- Medico-legal case discussion and clinical vignettes
For doctors who are already s12 approved, this course automatically covers Section 12(2) renewal, so there is no need to attend a separate course.
Please note that this course is just part of the AC approval process. The approval process varies according to your location – please use the following links for more information:
- South of England
- North of England
- Midlands and East of England – please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are seeking Section 12 approval for the first time, or to refresh your Section 12 approval, please book onto one of our Section 12 courses here.
If you are seeking to refresh your Approved Clinician status, please book onto the Approved Clinician courses here.
What you will learn from taking this course:
- understanding of the Approved Clinician approvals process and the requirements for maintaining approval.
- improved understanding of the role of Approved Clinician and how it differs from that of a Section 12 Doctor.
- improved understanding of commonly used compulsory orders and a basic understanding of the use of compulsory orders in specialised areas.
- understanding of the tribunal process including the provision of written & verbal evidence.
- an improved understanding of the interface between the Mental Health Act, Mental Capacity Act 2005 and other relevant legislation, with up to date understanding of current relevant case law.
- an enhanced awareness of the impact of compulsory orders on service users and carers and an enhanced appreciation of the balance between risk and liberty.
Clinical psychologist, Consultant – non-psychiatry any, Consultant – psychiatry, CT1-3 – non-psychiatry any, CT1-3 – psychiatry, Doctors, GP, ST4-7 – non-psychiatry any, ST4-7 – psychiatry
Lunch & Refreshments Provided
Book this course
The fusion of Education and the Health Service is extremely exciting and now indeed essential; I am thrilled that St Mary’s is at the forefront of this. I am truly invigorated to disseminate many nuggets of wisdom and tangible strategies gained yesterday to my entire school community.
The knowledge and skills help children in many areas e.g. friendships, learning, attitude, dealing with problems at home and school. Skills will stay with them as they progress helping them to be reflective and emotionally resilient.