About the course
Mental health conditions are very common but our systems are split between mental and physical health care provision. This course provides an overview of mental health problems that arise in the general hospital, primarily focussing on in-patient settings. It will give the learners an overview of common mental health conditions, as well as the skills to be able to feel more confident in managing them as they arise.
This courses focuses on improving knowledge, skills and confidence in managing mental health issues in the general hospital and will focus on:
- Depression in the context of long-term physical health conditions
- Anxiety disorders and how they interact with physical health worries
- Crises, self-harm presentations and risk management
- Personality disorder and how best to manage challenging situations
- Severe and enduring mental health conditions such as schizophrenia and how patients are managed
- MHA and the MCA and how they are used for the medically unwell patient
Course presented by
Click on the speaker's profile to find out more
After attending this course, participants will have:
- A much better understanding of a range of mental health conditions
- Improved knowledge about the interplay between mental and physical health problems in the general hospital
- The skills to know when to ask for help around mental health issues
- The confidence to better manage mental health issue in your clinical environments
Acute staff, Allied health professional, Consultant – non-psychiatry any, CT1-3 – non-psychiatry any, Healthcare assistant, Midwife, Nurse associate, RGN, Senior clinical manager, Service lead, Team Manager
Length & Time
Book this course
The fusion of Education and the Health Service is extremely exciting and now indeed essential; I am thrilled that St Mary’s is at the forefront of this. I am truly invigorated to disseminate many nuggets of wisdom and tangible strategies gained yesterday to my entire school community.
The knowledge and skills help children in many areas e.g. friendships, learning, attitude, dealing with problems at home and school. Skills will stay with them as they progress helping them to be reflective and emotionally resilient.