About the course
This is a fully-online half day simulation session that is chaired by two experienced faculty.
- To refresh and develop further confidence and skill in taking a psychiatric history, conducting a risk assessment, generating a holistic patient formulation, and performing a mental state examination in common mental disorders
- To develop your confidence, knowledge and skills in the management of common mental disorders
- To better see how mental and physical health problems overlap and how to deal with the two together
- To learn how to verbally de-escalate challenging situations more effectively
- To better understand and be able to apply the Mental Capacity and Mental Health Acts
- To begin to explore the dynamics within a consultation and the factors that might impact on them
- To enhance non-technical skills e.g., team working and communication with colleagues
What is the format?
- Entirely online version of an established course
- Delivered as a half-day session in the morning or afternoon
- Participants sign onto our learning platform from their own homes
- It encompasses 3 simulated patients (incl. x5 simulation scenarios and x2 video sessions followed by facilitated discussions)
- The session is chaired by two experienced faculty
- There is an emphasis on communication and non-technical (i.e., human factors) skills
- The course includes and pre- and post-course evaluation
CT1-3 – psychiatry, FY1, FY2, FY3, GPVTS
Book this course
The fusion of Education and the Health Service is extremely exciting and now indeed essential; I am thrilled that St Mary’s is at the forefront of this. I am truly invigorated to disseminate many nuggets of wisdom and tangible strategies gained yesterday to my entire school community.
The knowledge and skills help children in many areas e.g. friendships, learning, attitude, dealing with problems at home and school. Skills will stay with them as they progress helping them to be reflective and emotionally resilient.