About the course
This one-day multidisciplinary simulation course is designed for all grades of support worker, nurse, doctor, or allied mental health professional working with individuals suffering from mental illness who may also be experiencing domestic abuse.
It addresses the challenges faced when seeing such patients in different clinical environments, how to recognises the signs of abuse, how to enquire about it, how to determine the risks relate to it, when to information share, and what to do about it in collaboration with each individual concerned, using all available pathways.
The course aims to bring different professionals together to further understand these challenges, and build the confidence, skill and knowledge in dealing with them.
Target audience: Mental health professionals of any grade, including support workers, nurses, doctors, or allied mental health professionals.
This course has been created in partnership with Standing Together.
After attending this course, participants will be able to:
- Improved confidence, knowledge and skills in recognising and responding to domestic abuse
- Understanding of, and confidence in, applying the Ask Validate Assess Action model of approach to domestic abuse
- Greater understanding of coercive control
- Greater understanding of the risks faced by those living with domestic abuse
- Increased confidence in recognising risk factors associated with domestic abuse, including awareness of SPECSS and the DASH tool
- A better understanding of the roles and responsibilities of other agencies involved in the care of those living with domestic abuse
- Greater knowledge of and confidence in using local referral pathways and trust protocol
- Improved confidence, knowledge and skills in screening for and responding to someone who discloses perpetration of domestic abuse
Assistant psychologist, Clinical psychologist, Clinical support worker, Consultant – psychiatry, CT1-3 – psychiatry, Doctors, Psychotherapist, RMN, Social worker, ST4-7 – psychiatry
Length & Time
Book this course
- This product is protected and cannot be purchased.
The fusion of Education and the Health Service is extremely exciting and now indeed essential; I am thrilled that St Mary’s is at the forefront of this. I am truly invigorated to disseminate many nuggets of wisdom and tangible strategies gained yesterday to my entire school community.
The knowledge and skills help children in many areas e.g. friendships, learning, attitude, dealing with problems at home and school. Skills will stay with them as they progress helping them to be reflective and emotionally resilient.