Faculty development programme
Creating sustainability in mental health simulation training
Simulation Based Education (SBE) is a great experiential learning modality to develop healthcare workforce, promoting reflective practice and resilient approaches to care.
Maudsley Learning has developed a range of courses with everything you need to establish, maintain and grow a simulation training programme in your organisation. One of the following sections will be more relevant to your organisation’s journey. Our courses can now be delivered in local simulation suites socially distanced or via innovative digital delivery format, and we can support your organisation to implement high quality simulation training digitally.
1 - INTRODUCTION TO MENTAL HEALTH SIMULATION
- OBSERVATION | HALF-DAY: This is an unparalleled way to familiarise yourself with the actual set-up of a simulation training day and gain a first-hand insight into its educational impact.
- SHOWCASE | ONE-DAY: This provides an overview of the multiple components required to deliver effective simulation-based education (SBE). It includes a tour of our centre and presentations on course development, scenario design and facilitation principles
2 - GROWING YOUR SIMULATION FACULTY
- DEBRIEF SKILLS FOR MENTAL HEALTH SIMULATION | TWO-DAY: The debrief is a space for guided analysis of simulated scenarios, actions and thoughts, promoting learner-led and reflective learning. High quality, clinically relevant debriefing is paramount to maximising the learning experience in SBE. We offer a two-day course, facilitated by our experienced faculty, to support the development of debrief skills specific to mental health simulation. This is also suitable for clinicians and educators with some simulation experience wishing to develop their skills or curious to explore how they can be utilised with mental health scenarios.
- ADVANCED DEBRIEF SKILLS | TWO-DAY: We support multi-professional faculty to develop their established essential debrief skills. We support simulation faculty staff to achieve advanced debrief skills by reflecting on their current practice, specific debrief challenges, peer debriefing practice and key faculty development principles.
3 - RAPID DEPLOYMENT OF SPECIFIC COURSES
- TRAIN-THE-TRAINER | MULTI-DAY: Our multi-day, multi-phase, train-the-trainer programme offers organisations start-to-finish support, toward achieving self-sufficiency in delivering an ‘off-the-shelf' Maudsley Simulation mental health course which suits the need of local requirements without development of a full programme.
4 - GROWING AND ENHANCING YOUR CENTRE
- MENTAL HEALTH SIMULATION DEVELOPMENT TOOLKIT | TWO-DAY: We can support groups and individuals to establish or expand simulation training within their organisations. As such, we offer a comprehensive package covering essential technical and design requirements in creating successful high-fidelity mental health simulation to meet a variety of learning needs.
- CONSULTANCY: We assist in identifying simulation programmes with learning outcomes mapped as appropriate to relevant curricula, professional competency frameworks and workforce development objectives. We offer more bespoke consultancy packages to support the development of existing simulation capability.