Duty Senior Nurse Training (DSN)
This three-day course is aimed at band 6+ nurses who act as the duty senior nurse (DSN). Where approved by their line manager, it is also suitable for Band 5 nurses as part of their professional development plan.
It is suitable for professionals requiring clarification and advice about the role of the DSN, and Trust support structures and resources. It will explore the management and leadership qualities that are required by anyone acting in such roles.
Participants will be involved in a series of simulated scenarios using actors and a high-fidelity medical mannequin. Debriefing models are employed to assist participants to learn positively and constructively from the experience.
For participants to:
* Enhance their knowledge of the role of the duty senior nurse.
* Improve their clinical and managerial skills in relation to undertaking the role of the duty senior nurse.
After completing this course those attending will be able to:
* Describe the roles and responsibilities of the duty senior nurse.
* Understand the role of human factors or non-technical skills, e.g. situational awareness, leadership, team working, in psychiatric and medical emergencies.
* Demonstrate increased confidence in managing common clinical incidents as the duty senior nurse
* Demonstrate improved inter-agency working.
* Recognise when extra help is required and allocate tasks accordingly.
* Use a systematic approach to assess and treat the physically unwell patient.
Discounted rates are available for group bookings. Please contact us for more information. Maudsley Learning has a full range of courses to meet the needs of your organisation. Most can be delivered to you flexibly and tailored to your requirements.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally.
We value research and knowledge-sharing and will continue to contribute to the literature base on mental health education, addressing important research questions in this exciting field.