Making challenging clinical decisions - SWLSTG
Suitable for a range of clinicians involved in making clinical treatment decisions and performing risk assessments of acutely unwell patients, including a multidisciplinary team of core and specialty trainee doctors, trainees returning from periods of leave, and trainees seeking to develop confidence during on-call work. This course is inclusive of staff grade personnel and excludes consultants and foundation-grade doctors.
This multi-professional one-day course will enable participants to engage in a series of simulated risk assessments using actors. These assessments will be followed by scenarios in which participants make clinical decisions as a group. The course will utilize simulation training debrief models to provide feedback to participants on their contributions, helping them learn from the experience in a positive and constructive manner.
- Improve decision-making skills around the psychiatric admission process across the multi-disciplinary team.
- Have a better understanding of the decision-making process around risk assessment.
- Gain a better understanding of the individual biases and systemic factors influencing clinical decisions.
- Work more effectively with colleagues from the multi-disciplinary team when managing acutely unwell patients.
- Feel more confident in making decisions about the management of acutely unwell patients
After completing this course, those attending will be able to:
- Better understand the structure of acute pathways within mental health services.
- Develop an enhanced understanding of the different perspectives that arise across various teams, from liaison psychiatry assessment services to inpatient and community services, regarding the advantages and disadvantages of pursuing a mental health admission.
- Develop an improved understanding of the steps required to make a sound clinical decision regarding patient admission or discharge, and to grasp the consequences of such decisions on patients, their families, and other teams throughout the pathway.
- Apply this enhanced knowledge in a simulated environment with a series of clinical scenarios of increasing complexity.
- Develop strategies to support themselves and their colleagues in clinical decision-making
Discounted rates are available for group bookings. Please contact us for more information. Maudsley Learning has a full range of courses to meet the needs of your organisation. Most can be delivered to you flexibly and tailored to your requirements.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally.
We value research and knowledge-sharing and will continue to contribute to the literature base on mental health education, addressing important research questions in this exciting field.