Mental health crisis in the emergency department (Psych ED)
This full-day inter-professional course is aimed at the range of professionals who are involved in the care of patients in the Emergency Department (ED) including ED doctors, ED nurses, foundation doctors, PLNs, psychiatry doctors, security personnel.
This simulation course will be a series of evolving simulated scenarios using actors as simulated patients to depict a patient presenting with mental health crisis and a physical co-morbidity. Debriefing models will be employed to assist participants to learn positively and constructively from the experience of assessment and management of the simulated scenarios.
The course aims to build upon participants’ skills and confidence in the early recognition and management of mental health problems within the emergency department setting and to foster collaborative working.
At the end of the course, participant will have increased confidence in applying mental health skills and existing legal frameworks to effectively manage challenging mental health presentations in the emergency department.
- To improve collaborative working with colleagues across different specialties and professions when managing patients with physical and mental health co-morbidity.
- To increase confidence in the assessment and appropriate management of patients in crisis, including those who refuse treatment in the Emergency Department, and the use of the Mental Capacity Act.
- To encourage reflection on the barriers to effective management of medical problems in patients presenting with psychological or behavioural difficulties.
- Increased confidence in basic risk assessment and management of mental health conditions in the Emergency Department.
- Increased knowledge in the management of patients who refuse treatment in the Emergency Department.
- Improved skills in collaborative working when caring for patients presenting in mental health crisis
- Be able to understand the role and importance of non-technical skills e.g. situational awareness, leadership, team working and communication when managing patients
Discounted rates are available for group bookings. Please contact us for more information. Maudsley Learning has a full range of courses to meet the needs of your organisation. Most can be delivered to you flexibly and tailored to your requirements.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally.
We value research and knowledge-sharing and will continue to contribute to the literature base on mental health education, addressing important research questions in this exciting field.