Specialist mental health paramedic course
A comprehensive 5-day course designed exclusively for a new workforce of SMHPs (Specialist Mental Health Paramedic). This bespoke program has been meticulously crafted to provide aspiring SMHPs with the knowledge and skills they need to excel in their vital role within the prehospital context. Over the course of five days, participants will engage in a dynamic blend of online and in-person learning, facilitated by experienced mental health clinicians. The primary objective of this program is to equip participants with the expertise necessary for recognising and effectively managing mental health emergencies in prehospital settings. The course begins with three days of live online instruction, featuring interactive group work, engaging seminars, and valuable video content, followed by two days of immersive live in-person simulations. As part of the unique structure, participants will come together for the first three days online, and then split into two groups to attend one of the two live simulation days, ensuring a comprehensive and personalised learning experience.
- Elicit a brief psychiatric history, including conducting a Mental State Examination.
- Communicate confidently with confused and/or distressed service users. Develop and improve de-escalation skills to use with patients experiencing heightened emotional distress in a trauma-informed way.
- Recognise psychiatric emergencies, assess and manage risk, and learn how to escalate to appropriate services and professionals.
- Recognise addictions and support those with addiction, including recognizing symptoms of withdrawal.
- Recognise the medical impact of psychiatric illnesses and medications.
- Support service users with symptoms and presentations that frequently lead to mental comorbidity, including chronic physical illness, pain, insomnia, and stress.
- Be confident in providing signposting to local services for patients.
- Provide psychoeducation and risk minimization strategies.
- Use psychological models and strategies to support those who are in mental distress.
- Draw upon psychological and well-being models to support service users in making behavioral and lifestyle changes.
- Be confident in managing and advocating for your own well-being in the workplace.
- Have confidence in understanding the legal frameworks supporting your work in the community, including the Mental Health Act, Mental Capacity Act, and Common Law.
Contact us for bulk booking discounts on group bookings of more than 5.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your requirements and develop a proposal.
Let our team complete a full Training Needs Analysis for a department, directorate, or the whole hospital! We can work to complete this ourselves or work collaboratively with your own staff. Our standard outcome measures assess learner progress and produce a full report looking at wider impact of training using a range of tested assessment methodologies.