Essentials of community management of substance misuse
This one-day course for healthcare professionals will cover the essentials of assessment and treatment of illicit drugs and alcohol in the community.
We will start by looking at the national and local data on substance misuse to help participants understand the problem.
The course will cover the basics of evidence-based alcohol and opiate treatment with an emphasis on good practice. We will provide an introduction to psychological interventions for other drugs such as cocaine and MDMA.
Harm reduction interventions are crucial in the management of opiate users and we will discuss new interventions in this area as well as the importance of peer support networks.
Finally, we will briefly describe the structure of community drug and alcohol services and the interventions they offer so that learners will be able to make appropriate referrals for their patients.
|Explaining substance misuse in communities||Principles of screening for and delivering a brief intervention for alcohol||Principles of safe detoxification|
|Principles of opiate substitution||Management of risk including prevention of drug related deaths in opiate users|
The course will cover:
- Epidemiology and patterns of use
- Assessment of the drug and alcohol user
- Evidence and indications for brief interventions (BI)
- How to deliver a BI using FRAMES methodology
- When and how to detox from alcohol – NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) guidelines
- Principles and practice of opiate substitution – NICE and clinical guidelines.
- Where to start with non-opiates
- Drug-related deaths and prevention in opiate users, and how to prevent overdose
- Principles of harm reduction. Provision of take-home naloxone
- How community services are structured and provided
- Alcoholics anonymous and other types of peer support.
Course presented by
Contact us for bulk booking discounts on group bookings of more than 5.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your requirements and develop a proposal.
Let our team complete a full Training Needs Analysis for a department, directorate, or the whole hospital! We can work to complete this ourselves or work collaboratively with your own staff. Our standard outcome measures assess learner progress and produce a full report looking at wider impact of training using a range of tested assessment methodologies.