Nurse Associates Simulation Session
We are very excited to offer, for the first time, a Clinical Simulation Session, designed by Maudsley Learning, the UK’s leading mental health simulation training centre for Nurse Associates (NA) in Southeast London supported by Health Education England. This One Day Simulation Course will offer newly qualified and soon to be qualified Nurse Associates an opportunity to develop knowledge and confidence in a range of challenging clinical situations.
The role of the Nurse Associate is a relatively new one and was designed to support the core work of registered nurses in delivering complex clinical care. Nurse associates have a key role to play in supporting patients with hands-on clinical care. However, there are ongoing challenges to embed and support the important roles of Nurse associates in the clinical areas that will enhance their confidence to develop and deliver clinical care in their roles. This course has been collaboratively developed by listening to the experiences of clinical educators working closely with NA’S as well as feedback from newly qualified NA’s.
The course will involve a series of simulated clinical encounters with patients played by professionally trained actors. Each scenario will be followed by a structured debrief chaired by experienced simulation facilitators. The debrief will be an opportunity for reflection on these skills and the associated clinical themes and challenges presented by working in a range of clinical settings.
At the end of the course, participants will have increased knowledge and confidence in applying a range of skills including assessment and management of risk, teamwork and professional collaboration, effective de-escalation skills, effective communications skills and most importantly the role of human factors in delivering effective care to patients in a range of clinical settings.
Due to the impact of the current pandemic, the clinical simulation course will be held fully online. However, we will be following the COVID-19 developments closely, providing timely updates on the planned mode of delivery. The course is fully optional, it will be advertised and offered to all Nurse associates within SLAM NHS Foundation Trust.
After taking this course, participants will:
- Have increased awareness and knowledge of a range of interpersonal skills and specific models in relation to de-escalation and reducing restrictive practices.
- Have improved skills and confidence in the recognition of and response to those living with domestic abuse, and escalation of safeguarding concerns
- Be able to foster collaboration between colleagues across the multi-disciplinary team and enhance effective communication and team working
- Be aware of the role of the confidentiality policies in the maintenance of patient safety
- Have increased confidence in using effective communications skills to engage with patients regarding improvement of physical health and mental health co-morbidities
- Understand the role of human factors in delivering effective care to patients
Discounted rates are available for group bookings. Please contact us for more information. Maudsley Learning has a full range of courses to meet the needs of your organisation. Most can be delivered to you flexibly and tailored to your requirements.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally.
We value research and knowledge-sharing and will continue to contribute to the literature base on mental health education, addressing important research questions in this exciting field.