Topic: Police, communities and mental health: the how and why of relationship building
This session will include those with experience of mental health problems and the current operation of the mental health act, those working inside and within the police and mental health services, and those who are advocating for improvements in the current system.
The particular questions we would like to focus on are:
- What are the biggest challenges in the mental health, community and police interface?
- Why are we using so many Section 136s? How different is a Section 136 to a stop and search – in perception and reality?
- What alternatives exist, and why aren’t we making better use of them?
- What kind of grip do we have on the data of those who we are depriving of their liberty? What are the current figures, and what are the current challenges?
- What are the current challenges for police services?
Date aired: 13.05.2022