About the course
This one-day Maudsley Masterclass is for all medical, mental health and social care professionals who work with women during pregnancy or the first year after giving birth. It aims to improve confidence in dealing with complex medico-legal issues that may arise in this patient group.
It will be facilitated by legal and psychiatric experts and include research and policy updates. The course will provide a refresher on the relevant legislation and case law, an approach to dealing with common and complex dilemmas around mental capacity assessments in the perinatal period, and an update on the latest research in the field and upcoming law reform.
Using a mixture of lectures, case-based teaching, interactive and practical exercises, this promises to be an enjoyable and stimulating day of learning for anyone with an interest in perinatal health.
Course presented by
Click on the speaker's profile to find out more
Specialist Public Lawyer
The Bar of England and WalesRead more
Dr Lucy Stephenson
Clinical research associate & Higher trainee in General Adult Psychiatry and Medical Psychotherapy
South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation TrustRead more
Dr Livia Martucci
Consultant Perinatal Psychiatrist
St Thomas’s HospitalRead more
After completing this course those attending will be able to:
- Describe common problems health professionals encounter in applying mental health legislation (Mental Capacity Act 2005 and Mental Health Act 1983) during the perinatal period
- Discuss case examples of how perinatal medico-legal dilemmas should be managed
- Apply a structured approach to completing and documenting complex capacity assessments in the perinatal period
- Describe upcoming reforms to the Mental Health Act and their utility for advance decision making in the perinatal period
- Formulate a legally informed advance decision making document with women in the perinatal period
- Describe upcoming reforms to the Mental Health Act and the impact on advance decision making in the perinatal period
Assistant psychologist, Clinical psychologist, Consultant – non-psychiatry any, Consultant – psychiatry, CT1-3 – non-psychiatry any, CT1-3 – psychiatry, FY1, FY2, FY3, GP, GPVTS, Health visitor, Midwife, Obstetricians, RGN, RMN, Social worker, ST4-7 – non-psychiatry any, ST4-7 – psychiatry
Length & Time
82-96 Grove Ln,
Book this course
The fusion of Education and the Health Service is extremely exciting and now indeed essential; I am thrilled that St Mary’s is at the forefront of this. I am truly invigorated to disseminate many nuggets of wisdom and tangible strategies gained yesterday to my entire school community.
The knowledge and skills help children in many areas e.g. friendships, learning, attitude, dealing with problems at home and school. Skills will stay with them as they progress helping them to be reflective and emotionally resilient.