Physician Associate: Children and young people’s mental health
This course is specifically designed for physician associates working in primary care who deal with mental health issues in children and young people. It's a one-day online simulation that covers common situations in primary care. The goal is to boost their skills, offering practical tips for assessing, intervening, and collaborating in pediatric mental health care. The interactive simulations aim to give them the know-how to handle the challenges in this specific area of primary care.
In this course, participants will:
- Develop an understanding of common mental health presentations in CYP, including risk presentation, school refusal, self-harm, and neurodivergence.
- Engage, de-escalate, and communicate with CYP with mental health challenges when they present to primary care settings.
- Explore the role of family involvement, managing and engaging families effectively.
- Gain confidence in when and how to escalate situations with significant risks.
- Develop skills in communicating with complex interprofessional networks.
- Demonstrate an understanding of Mental State Examination, formulation, risk assessment, and effective handovers.
- Show appropriate understanding of legal frameworks related to CYP, including consent, capacity, and competence.
Discounted rates are available for group bookings. Please contact us for more information. Maudsley Learning has a full range of courses to meet the needs of your organisation. Most can be delivered to you flexibly and tailored to your requirements.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally.
We value research and knowledge-sharing and will continue to contribute to the literature base on mental health education, addressing important research questions in this exciting field.