Therapeutic working with parents with mental health difficulties (Family Partnership Model Level 2)
This one-day course for professionals working with adults with mental health difficulties builds on the assessment skills taught in Assessing parents with mental health difficulties (Family Partnership Level 1).
Over half of children of parents affected by mental health problems develop mental health difficulties themselves. Parents’ own mental health difficulties can make it harder to look after children safely, warmly, and consistently.
Effective assessment of parental mental health and parenting needs can reduce parenting stress, safeguarding risk, and intergenerational transmission of mental health difficulties as well as improve family resilience and children’s social and emotional outcomes.
The course shows learners how to work collaboratively with parents to set achievable goals and start implementing practical changes.
This course is delivered by leading parenting experts from the Centre for Parent and Child Support (South London and Maudsley NHS Trust) together with Maudsley Learning. If you are interested in further developing your skills in this area, the following courses are also offered:
- Assessing parents with mental health difficulties (Family Partnership Model Level 1)
- Challenges working with parents with mental health difficulties (Family Partnership Model Level 3).
Completion of prior courses is not required to undertake this course.
Based on the Family Partnership Model and using interactive and case-based learning, this course will cover:
- Patient engagement and motivation
- Goal setting using the SMARTER model
- Strategy planning and implementation
- An introduction to resources that aim to strengthen the parent-child relationship and child behaviour.
The Centre for Parent and Child Support believes all practitioners have the right and the responsibility to talk about parental mental health.
What you will learn from taking this course:
- Engage parents in hopeful conversations about change
- Set meaningful, realistic, and measurable parenting goals with parents
- Work collaboratively with parents to identify resources and plan how they will achieve goals.
Contact us for bulk booking discounts on group bookings of more than 5.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your requirements and develop a proposal.
Let our team complete a full Training Needs Analysis for a department, directorate, or the whole hospital! We can work to complete this ourselves or work collaboratively with your own staff. Our standard outcome measures assess learner progress and produce a full report looking at wider impact of training using a range of tested assessment methodologies.