Eating disorders for children and young people simulation course
This one-day interactive simulation training course is designed for professionals who are working with children and young people (CYP) with eating disorders (ED).
This course is suitable for professionals including medical doctors, psychiatrists, RMNs, physical health nurses, dieticians, GPs, and family therapists who are working with CYP with eating disorders in primary care settings, Tier 3 CAMHS community teams, specialist teams, inpatient facilities, and the setting of a general hospital.
The course is primarily focused on the assessment and management of CYP with ED, understanding challenges faced by professionals in engaging CYP with ED in different settings, thinking about dynamics within family systems and in wider systems and gaining better understanding of capacity, consent and other conundrums. The course will support in developing effective communication skills through a series of simulated scenarios throughout the day. A structured debrief model is employed to give participants feedback on their contributions and assist them in learning positively and constructively from their experience.
- To enhance knowledge, confidence, and skills to work with children and young people with eating disorders.
- To feel confident in taking a history focusing on the eating disorder symptoms as well as physical symptoms and sequelae secondary to a significant restriction of food intake.
- To understand complexities around dynamics within the family system and wider systems, including professionals involved in their care
- To learn strategies used to help YP and their families understand the impact of eating disorder.
- To gain confidence in having challenging and potentially distressing conversations about the need for an NG tube insertion or discussing meal plan and how to do this in a supportive and helpful way.
- To recognise the presence of comorbidities and how they can potentially contribute to increased risk
- To recognise the need for risk assessment when medical intervention is required and manage that risk by thinking about the legal framework, issues pertaining to capacity, competence and safeguarding.
Thanks to commissioning from HEE, we have been able to provide funded places on this course to increasing numbers of healthcare professionals, extending our mission to make quality mental health training available to all.
There has been variability in attendance on some of our courses, which can impact the quality of delivery and lead to cancellations. We ask that you let us know if you are no longer able to attend a course so that we can offer your place to someone else on the waiting list. In some cases, your line manager may be notified, where we have no record of a cancellation. We understand the immense pressure that you are under in the current working climate and appreciate you taking the time to get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: For our courses to achieve their set objectives, we require a minimum number of participants to run the course on the day. Should bookings fall below the required number of participants, we may cancel this course.
Discounted rates are available for group bookings. Please contact us for more information. Maudsley Learning has a full range of courses to meet the needs of your organisation. Most can be delivered to you flexibly and tailored to your requirements.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally.
We value research and knowledge-sharing and will continue to contribute to the literature base on mental health education, addressing important research questions in this exciting field.