About the course
Non-pharmaceutical approaches to managing depression have a strong evidence-base and can be part of an effective and comprehensive treatment strategy. This one-day Maudsley Masterclass is aimed at clinicians working in mental health and will cover the basics of non-medical treatments for depression, as well as the latest research and evidence. Behavioural Activation is an intervention of choice for depression and is widely used in psychology services. Participants will learn to assess patients with depression to identify problematic lifestyle, cognitive, and interpersonal factors. After attending this course, you will be able to integrate CBT for sleep, exercise, triple chronotherapy, and nutritional interventions into your management plans. There will be a focus on a functional understanding of rumination, avoidance, and compensatory behaviours that are used to avoid painful emotions that maintain depression.
Course presented by
Click on the speaker's profile to find out more
After taking this course, learners will be able to:
- Describe the theory, principles, and different types of Behavioural Activation (BA)
- Describe the principles of rumination-based cognitive therapy and functional analytical psychotherapy, and how these relate to BA
- Perform an assessment of avoidance and compensatory strategies in patients with depression
- Perform a functional analysis and formulation of cognitive processes and behaviours in patients with depression
- Devise an appropriate BA programme, including a two-week intensive programme
- Assess nutrition and recommend nutritional interventions for depression
- Prescribe bright light therapy for non-seasonal depression and triple chronotherapy for the rapid treatment of depression
Assistant psychologist, Clinical psychologist, Consultant – psychiatry, CT1-3 – psychiatry, FY1, FY2, FY3, Occupational therapist, Psychology student, Psychotherapist, RMN
Book this course
The fusion of Education and the Health Service is extremely exciting and now indeed essential; I am thrilled that St Mary’s is at the forefront of this. I am truly invigorated to disseminate many nuggets of wisdom and tangible strategies gained yesterday to my entire school community.
The knowledge and skills help children in many areas e.g. friendships, learning, attitude, dealing with problems at home and school. Skills will stay with them as they progress helping them to be reflective and emotionally resilient.