Patients with severe mental illness have a significantly reduced life span than the rest of the population. This group also has excess of poor nutrition and lifestyle behaviours which are related both to the illness and may be influenced by medication. The webinar will focus on the dietary factors and uncover the recent research behind Mediterranean diet in depression and emerging science of the role of gut-brain-microbiota axis as the mechanism behind modulation of behaviour via dietary change. The presenter then proposes an outpatient based coaching style nutritional intervention model to implement personalised nutrition education in day to day clinical practice.
The course covers:
- Roles & Responsibilities of Approved Clinicians, including practical aspects of becoming AC approved
- Detention and Liberty
- Returning to the community and Community Treatment Orders
- Appeals/hearing procedures
- Service user and carer experience, and advocates
- Legal Updates
- Interface with the Criminal Justice System
- Mental Health law in specialist areas
- Medico-legal case discussion and clinical vignettes
- Understanding the extent of physical health morbidities in the SMI population
- Limitations and constraints of nutrition research in mental health and current evidence
- Role of gut-microbiota-brain axis in mental health conditions
- Examples of Outpatient clinic-based nutrition interventions
Discounted rates are available for group bookings. Please contact us for more information. Maudsley Learning has a full range of courses to meet the needs of your organisation. Most can be delivered to you flexibly and tailored to your requirements.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally.
We value research and knowledge-sharing and will continue to contribute to the literature base on mental health education, addressing important research questions in this exciting field.