Sleep medicine and insomnia for healthcare professionals
There is a growing recognition of the significance of sleep in various facets of our lives, and many patients express notable distress and impairment related to their sleep. Despite this, sleep medicine is seldom integrated into the core curriculum of medical schools, creating a pressing need for improved assessment and treatment strategies.
This course is designed for clinicians working in diverse settings and does not require prior experience in sleep medicine. Participants will acquire the skills to develop a pragmatic, clinically oriented approach to identify, assess, and manage common sleep issues, with a focus on what clinicians encounter in their day-to-day practice. The emphasis will be particularly on insomnia and its treatment. The curriculum will foster an understanding of normal sleep while dispelling prevalent myths and misconceptions surrounding sleep.
Led by active experts in sleep medicine and research, the course will employ a combination of lectures, interactive sessions, and case studies.
Upon completion of this course, you will enhance your understanding in the following areas:
- Grasp the fundamentals of the neurobiology of sleep and circadian rhythms, along with their respective functions.
- Acquire a comprehensive overview of the diverse range of disorders within sleep medicine.
- Master the skill of taking a detailed sleep history and identifying relevant differential diagnoses.
- Conduct a thorough assessment of insomnia through a comprehensive approach.
- Familiarize yourself with the principles of cognitive-behavioral strategies for the treatment of insomnia.
- Develop confidence in the pharmacological management of insomnia and gain an appreciation for medical treatments used in addressing other sleep disorders.
- Understanding the sleep-circadian system in health.
- Overview of sleep disorders.
- Conducting a comprehensive sleep history.
- Assessment of sleep-disordered breathing and guidelines for referral.
- Evaluation of insomnia.
- Non-pharmacological management of insomnia.
- Pharmacological management of insomnia.
- Assessment and management of restless legs syndrome.
- Overview of parasomnias, excessive sleepiness, and circadian rhythm disorders.
Contact us for bulk booking discounts on group bookings of more than 5.
We are able to offer custom-made programs, whether digital or face to face, to meet the education and training needs of your organisation in the UK or internationally. We would welcome the opportunity to discuss your requirements and develop a proposal.
Let our team complete a full Training Needs Analysis for a department, directorate, or the whole hospital! We can work to complete this ourselves or work collaboratively with your own staff. Our standard outcome measures assess learner progress and produce a full report looking at wider impact of training using a range of tested assessment methodologies.