About the course
Please note: this course is only suitable for those working in South East London.
A Simulation training focusing on the transition from child to adult mental health services.
A one day inter-professional simulation course which uses clinical scenarios to explore how human factors impact on the transition of young patients moving from Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) to Adult Mental Health Service (AMHS).
This course is aimed at all hospital and community mental health professionals working in both Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) and Adult Mental Health Service (AMHS). These include Consultants and trainees doctors, mental health nurses (community and ward), psychologists, occupational therapists, social workers and health care assistants.
Participants will be involved in a series of simulated scenarios using actors.
Debriefing models will be employed to assist participants to learn positively and constructively from the experience.
The aims of this course are to
- increase the awareness of the challenges that can arise when transferring young adults from CAHMS to AMHS and to discuss and practice strategies to overcome these
- reflect on communication styles with young adults and their family
- understand the role that non-technical skills (such as team working, communication and leadership) play in the management of young people transitioning from CAHMS to AMHS
- improve confidence, knowledge and skills to safety manage patients interacting with other agencies [CAHMS, AHMS, social services, universities, youth offending team, substance misuse]
- improve competence in recognising neurodevelopmental condition in adults
- improve awareness of the CQC guidelines on the Transition from children to adult services
Allied health professional, Assistant psychologist, Care coordinator, Clinical psychologist, Clinical support worker, Consultant – psychiatry, CT1-3 – psychiatry, FY1, FY2, FY3, GP, GPVTS, Nurse associate, Occupational therapist, RMN, ST4-7 – psychiatry, Team Manager
Length & Time
Book this course
The fusion of Education and the Health Service is extremely exciting and now indeed essential; I am thrilled that St Mary’s is at the forefront of this. I am truly invigorated to disseminate many nuggets of wisdom and tangible strategies gained yesterday to my entire school community.
The knowledge and skills help children in many areas e.g. friendships, learning, attitude, dealing with problems at home and school. Skills will stay with them as they progress helping them to be reflective and emotionally resilient.